Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Further tax-deductible donations will go towards technology to supplement the MacBook. :)
$

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

ABOUT ASD

So I thought I’d share a little bit about the awesome company I work for. Arts & Services for Disabled (ASD) was founded in 1982, with the vision of creating and developing community based programs utilizing creative arts therapies (music, dance, drama, and visual and literary arts) for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Very often students come into these programs with very low self esteem, or seem unreachable. For these individuals, traditional training approaches only serve to increase their frustration and magnify their belief that they are “dis-abled.” In programs provided by Arts & Services for Disabled, the focus is on what the students are able to do, not what they can’t.

ASD’s mission statement:
The primary mission of Arts & Services for Disabled is to provide life-long learning, community service and career opportunities through the creative arts for people with disabilities in an environment of warmth, encouragement and respect.
We believe…
...all people, regardless of functional capability, have a right and responsibility to contribute to the well-being of their community and be gainfully employed in an occupation of their choosing;
…an informed and supportive community must play a vital role in removing the barriers to full involvement and inclusion;
…people should have access to the expressive arts in vocation, education, and leisure;
…people have the right to express and practice their cultural and artistic heritage;
…being treated with dignity and respect fosters personal growth, thus our philosophy:
LOVE BEFORE LEARNING

We currently have four programs: one in Long Beach, one in Gardena, and two in Hawthorne. I’ve worked at the Long Beach facility for almost 4 years. Our students continue to amaze me on a daily basis with their creativity, compassion, and willingness to share themselves openly, seemingly without fear of what others will think. I have to admit that I sometimes take for granted how unique my job is, until someone meeting my students for the first time reminds me that what we do at ASD is very extraordinary work. Although I’m labeled the “instructor,” my students sometimes teach me more than I will ever be able to teach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment