Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Thank you to everyone who contributed!

Further tax-deductible donations will go towards technology to supplement the MacBook. :)
$

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

DOES MY HAIR DEFINE ME?

So you might be asking yourself, how does Liz feel about having a bald head? What about when it’s in the awkward growing-back stage?
A few years ago, after I took out the braids to assist with the transition back to long hair...

Well, I feel like I’m ready for it all. I’m excited to get rid of the ball of annoying frizzy mess on my head that’s been slowing me down when I run, and I can’t wait until the day I can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with my hair (or lack thereof) and it will always look the same!

[A fun side note: the other day when I tried to stuff my hair through my helmet to put it on, the plastic on my helmet snapped. Won’t have to worry about that happening to my next helmet!]

As the day approaches, I find myself excited, and just a little nervous. What will my bald head really look like and be like to live with on a daily basis? We’ll find out soon!! There is a part of me that worries slightly about how my short hair will affect people’s perception of me. It’s a small thought in the back of my mind, but it’s there! I have actually had short spikey hair before and I received some rather weird looks for this. Personally, I loved the look I had with my short hair!
Observe:
The bleach/light blue gel look

The bleach/bright red gel look

The 4th of July bleach/red/white/blue gel look!

As much as I believe that you shouldn’t live your life according to what other people think, I have to admit that it is difficult to put this into practice on a daily basis. The same goes with my profession. If I’m constantly worried about what my co-workers think of my therapeutic approach, then I’m not free to actually do anything therapeutic with my students. I feel like I have a lot to learn through the experience of having a bald head. My hope is that it will allow me to simply be myself, regardless of what I look like on the outside, and my true personality will shine through. This can only help my work with my students. What freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment